[Air-L] Crowdsourcing and the Academy. Symposium at UC Berkeley Nov. 6. Pre-registration and CFP now open

Lina Eklund lina.eklund at sociology.su.se
Thu Jul 9 16:03:29 PDT 2015

Crowdsourcing and the Academy. Symposium at UC Berkeley Nov. 6. Pre-registration and CFP now open

The Humanities and Social Sciences Association<http://hssa.berkeley.edu/> will present a symposium on November 6, 2015 at UC Berkeley, California, to explore the premises, promises, and risks of crowdsourcing in the social sciences and humanities.  Long the arena of industry, and more recently, the physical sciences, the humanities and social sciences increasingly are turning to networked knowledge production, enabling new scales and modes of public participation in academic research.  The half-day event will open with an introductory keynote presentation, to be followed by two panels, and close with a buffet lunch.  The first panel will feature scholars who are engaged in crowdsourcing projects, and the second panel will offer analysis of the cultural and social implications of this method.

We invite scholars and educators of all academic levels that are currently involved in a crowdsourcing project to submit a short abstract for consideration for Panel 1, "Talking from experience."  For more information click here<http://hssa.berkeley.edu/crowdsourcing-symposium> or view the call for proposals in the attached pdf file.

Space for this symposium is limited. If you are interested in attending, please pre-register here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1XvGQ2EuqfJFJEzqBOjwgKbgZ6XFOLyYqaMPwls3qbgA/viewform?usp=send_form>.  We will get back to you with the official registration about 4 weeks prior to the event.

For additional information please consult the event website<http://hssa.berkeley.edu/crowdsourcing-symposium> or the attached call.

We look forward to seeing you in Berkeley!

Isabell Stamm, Post-Doc, Department of Sociology, UC Berkeley
Wanda Katja Liebermann, Visiting Scholar, Department of Architecture, UC Berkeley
Lina Eklund, Visiting Scholar, Department of Sociology, UC Berkeley