[Air-L] measuring media/compassion fatigue across languages and media systems

kalev leetaru kalev.leetaru5 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 08:47:40 PDT 2015

For those of you that focus on online media and media effects, I thought
this collaboration with IRIN News assessing global media fatigue of the
Nepal and Vanuatu disasters, across 65 languages and each country's media
system, might be of particular interest, especially the queries and source
code to provide the foundation for other analyses:

http://newirin.irinnews.org/dataviz/2015/7/25/nepal-earthquake-three-months-on
http://blog.gdeltproject.org/irin-news-the-nepal-earthquake-at-three-months-media-fatigue-and-bias/
http://blog.gdeltproject.org/towards-a-generalized-model-of-media-fatigue-vanuatu-nepal/

While media fatigue has obviously been heavily explored over the decades,
one of the results of the analyses above is that the two-week exponential
falloff holds consistently across each country's media system and between
the two disasters.

If you scroll to the bottom of the post below, you will find all of the
queries and source code to run your own media fatigue or other media
effects analyses across the data, which I thought might of especial
interest and use to many of you as a foundation for broader quantitative
media analyses.

http://blog.gdeltproject.org/irin-news-the-nepal-earthquake-at-three-months-media-fatigue-and-bias/

~Kalev
http://kalevleetaru.com