[Air-L] geographic search and visualization of the online world

kalev leetaru kalev.leetaru5 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 14:35:44 PDT 2015

I thought many of you would like some of our latest work on visualizing the
geography of global news coverage, including online news media.  In
essence, these maps look at local news coverage from throughout the world,
live-translating it from 65 languages, coupled with city/landmark-level
fulltext geocoding, to visualize the geography of leaders, organizations,
topics, and emotions across space:

http://blog.gdeltproject.org/announcing-gdelt-geographic-news-search/
http://blog.gdeltproject.org/visualizing-the-linguistic-geography-of-the-worlds-news/
http://blog.gdeltproject.org/mapping-the-worlds-happiest-and-saddest-news-in-realtime/
http://blog.gdeltproject.org/embed-this-map/
http://blog.gdeltproject.org/tutorial-instant-news-maps-using-cartodb-gkg-api/

This afternoon we released a new geographic network visualization that
adapts the Google Arms Globe Visualization to display a different kind of
dynamic georeferenced spatial network: co-occurrences of geography in the
global news media.  In essence, it looks at macro-level patterns in how the
global news media as a whole  groups countries together in its coverage.
In other words, for all news media from anywhere in the world monitored by
GDELT, every time a location in South Africa is mentioned in a given week,
what are all of the other countries mentioned in that coverage in rank
order?  Only countries which cooccur at least 10% of the time in a given
week are shown to reduce the network to the strongest connections.

http://blog.gdeltproject.org/mapping-media-geographic-networks-the-news-co-occurrence-globe/
http://data.gdeltproject.org/blog/news-cooccurrence-globe/globe_cooccur.html

I thought this might be of interest to many of you from the standpoint of
the kinds of media studies research, including of online news, that can be
done through GDELT (
http://blog.gdeltproject.org/gdelt-2-0-our-global-world-in-realtime/) and
for the use of the Google Arms Globe Visualization for high-density
time-varying georeferenced networks.

Kalev Leetaru
http://blog.gdeltproject.org/
http://kalevleetaru.com/