[Air-L] Online survey about consent to access someone's social media data

Gohar F. Khan gohar.feroz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 20:48:00 PDT 2015

Hello Ansgar:

Considering the size of social media users (Facebook alone has more than a
billion users), it is virtually impossible to get a true representative
sample (i.e., everyone is given an equal chance of selection). One way to
do is to narrow down your research question and randomly draw your sample
from a specific user group in a particular social media site (say Facebook
or LinkedIn user groups) or multiple groups in multiple sites (only if you
could treat the data separately). This way you may be able to achieve some
degree of randomization. Also, controlling for the type of social media
site is important, as each social media site has a different privacy
policy, nature and amount of personal data stored, and shared. There are
other host of issues that could affect the results, such as, user age,
gender, awareness, experience, personality, etc.

I hope other list members can provide more insights.

Thank you,

On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 5:32 AM, Ansgar Koene <Ansgar.Koene at nottingham.ac.uk
> wrote:

> [sorry for the re-post, forgot the link to the survey last time]
>
> Hi all,
>    I've recently launched an online survey to ask people which conditions
> they would like to have met before they would want to consent to having
> their social media data used for research purposes (see link below).
> Does anyone have any good suggestions how I can best reach an audience
> that represent a proper cross-section of the internet using population?
> Mechanical Turk won't be an option since for the purposes of this survey
> Turkers would not be a representative population sample. Neither is the
> student population.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Ansgar
>
> Survey link:
> https://nottingham.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/conditions-for-consent-to-analyse-social-media-data
>
> Dr. Ansgar Koene
> CaSMa - Citizen centric approaches to social media analysis
> Horizon Digital Economy Research Institute
> University of Nottingham
> arkoene <https://sites.google.com/site/arkoene/>
> http://casma.wp.horizon.ac.uk/
> http://www.horizon.ac.uk/

> University of Nottingham.

> permitted by UK legislation.

Gohar Feroz Khan, PhD
Assistant Professor
Korea University of Technology & Education (KoreaTECH)
1600 Chungjol-ro Byungcheon-myun
Cheonan city, 330-708, South Korea
Office: 82-41-560-1415; Mobile: +82-10-5510-8071
email: gohar.feroz at kut.ac.kr

Director Centre for Social Technologies <http://centreforsocialtech.com>
Associate Editor Journal of Contemporary Eastern Asia
<http://eastasia.yu.ac.kr/>
I blog here <http://gfkhan.wordpress.com/dr-khan/>

Stay tuned for my new book on 7 Layers of s
<http://7layersanalytics.com/introduction-to-the-book/>ocial
media analytics to be available soon...
<http://7layersanalytics.com/introduction-to-the-book/>.