[Air-L] CfP: Examining the Essence of the Crowds: Motivations, Roles and Identities, ECSCW

Tanja Aitamurto tanja.aitamurto at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 11:53:28 PDT 2015

Dear AIRers,

Please consider submitting a workshop paper, and spreading the word about
the following workshop at ECSCW:

*Examining the Essence of the Crowds: Motivations, Roles and Identities*

*A workshop at **ECSCW 2015* <http://www.ecscw2015.no/>*, September 19, in
Oslo, Norway.*

In this one-day workshop we will examine the crowd’s motivation factors,
roles and identities both in voluntary and paid crowdsourcing. We encourage
diverse and creative methods and theoretical frameworks in this one-day
workshop. We invite both empirical and theoretical work, position papers
and works in progress. We will apply interactive methods in exploring the
topics like small group discussions and flash presentations. The workshop
will result into a research agenda, in which we, as a part of the ECSCW
community, present a roadmap for addressing these questions. This
deliverable which will be posted online and shared widely. The workshop
builds on three earlier successful workshops: *Back to the Future of
Organizational Work: Crowdsourcing Digital Work Marketplaces* and *Structures
for Knowledge Co-creation between Organizations and the Public *hosted at
ACM CSCW 2014, and *The Morphing Organization — Rethinking Groupwork
Systems in the Era of Crowdwork* hosted at ACM GROUP 2014.

*Submissions*

In this ECSCW workshop we seek to address questions surrounding motivation
factors, roles and identities of participants in both voluntary and paid
crowdsourcing. We invite work on coordination and collaboration mechanisms
that help development and organization of crowdsourcing systems. These
mechanisms could include use of external information sources, freeware and
software materials, communication tools beyond those provided by the
platform, etc.

We invite both empirical and theoretical work, position papers and works in
progress. We encourage diverse and creative methods and theoretical
frameworks in examining these aspects.
The questions and topics the workshop will explore include the following
ones, but are not limited to:

   - Motivation factors of the crowd in paid and voluntary crowdsourcing,
   and in short-term and long-term crowdsourcing initiatives
   - Collaboration and coordination mechanisms in crowdwork
   - The roles participants take in crowdsourcing projects in different
   contexts, and the processes in which they take their roles
   - The boundaries between newcomers and experts, highly active
   participants and more passive ones, moderators and mentors, the stages in
   which the participants grow into these roles and switch back and forth.
   - The crowd’s demographic profile in a variety contexts
   - The artefacts that the crowd uses for conducting their tasks and
   monitoring their work individually and as a community

The maximum length of a paper is 2,000 words. The papers should follow the
ECSCW formatting guidelines.

More information here. <http://ecscw2015.blogs.dsv.su.se/>

*Deadline for submissions is July 1st.*

Submissions and inquiries shall be sent to the following email address:
crowdessence at gmail.com

*Organizers*

▪ Tanja Aitamurto, Stanford, United States.

▪ Obinna Anya, IBM Research, United States.

▪ Laura Carletti, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom.

▪ Neha Gupta, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom.

▪ Karin Hansson, Stockholm University, Sweden.

▪ Juho Lindman, Swedish School of Economics, Finland.

▪ Brandie Nonnecke, UC Berkeley, United States.

best,
Tanja Aitamurto, Ph.D.
Deputy Director
Brown Fellow, postdoctoral
The Brown Institute for Media Innovation <http://brown.stanford.edu/>
School of Engineering
Stanford
www.tanjaaitamurto.com <http://brokenfence.flavors.me/>
~ examining collective intelligence in journalism, governance and design ~