[Air-L] Open Internet (speech) and Economics

Gabriel Mugar gmugar at syr.edu
Fri Jun 26 10:21:58 PDT 2015

Carol Rose talks about the relationship between free speech, public space, and commerce in her article “Comedy of the Commons”

http://www.jstor.org/stable/1599583

In it she argues that social interaction in public space (free speech) is critical to socializing members of society towards common cultural customs. Without public spaces for socialization towards customs, a public becomes “a shapeless mob, whose members neither trade nor converse nor play, but only fight.”

Gabriel Mugar
Doctoral Candidate, Syracuse University
Information Science and Technology
www.buildingthecommons.org<http://www.buildingthecommons.org>