[Air-L] Measuring employment risks of social media (mis)use

David Brake davidbrake at gmail.com
Tue May 5 05:46:05 PDT 2015

Dear all,

It’s well established that what people post on social media can influence their future job prospects (see for example Bohnert, D., & Ross, W. H. (2010). The influence of social networking web sites on the evaluation of job candidates. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 13(3), 341-347. doi: 10.1089/cyber.2009.0193). Has anyone from, for example, the field of Human Resources Management, come up with some kind of “employability index” one could use to measure the extent of positive and negative employability factors in someone’s public social media profiles? The idea would be to try to “score” people’s social media profiles eg from +5 (“I’d be much more likely to hire this person because of what I just read about them online) to -5 ("this person’s online profile makes them impossible to hire”).

Regards,

David

--
Dr David Brake, Professor of Journalism, Humber College, School of Media Studies & Information Technology, Toronto, ON, Canada Office: +1 416 675 3111 x79323 Cell: 289 400 4525
@drbrake http://davidbrake.org/ skype:davidbrake