[Air-L] anti-harassment and safe spaces

sky c skyc at riseup.net
Tue May 5 08:46:31 PDT 2015

> First, I’d like the AoIR executive committee to create and open for
> member review a specific anti-harassment statement for its conferences
> and other activities. I know we have a diversity and inclusivity
> statement, but I’d like us to have a more formal policy regarding how
> harassment will be handled if it happens either at the conference
> proper, on the mailing list, and/or on Twitter, etc. (something,
> perhaps like Theorizing the Web’s statement:
> http://theorizingtheweb.tumblr.com/post/79357700249/anti-harassment-statement <http://theorizingtheweb.tumblr.com/post/79357700249/anti-harassment-statement>). This seems critical if we are going to make AoIR a safe space for everyone.

I recently attended the TtW conference, and while I think the
anti-harassment statement makes a great start, I think there are other
important steps that can be taken for thinking about conferences as safe
spaces. I've written more about this here:
http://skycroeser.net/2015/04/20/theorizing-the-web-and-conferences-as-technology/