[Air-L] Innovative methods for assessing acceptability of technological innovations

Liliana Arroyo Moliner liliana at eticasconsulting.com
Thu May 14 10:58:25 PDT 2015

Dear all,

I hope this e-mail finds you well. I come today with a methodological
question:

At Eticas we are developing a methodology for societal impact assessment.
Among other things, we want to assess (and to some extent) forecast
attitudes of acceptance/rejection towards specific technological
innovations (in particular those that imply personal data gathering and
thus may ingringe the right to privacy). For instance, the installation of
supercookies in their computers that might be collecting all sorts of
sensitive information without them noticing (browsing history, navigation
path, time spent at each website...).

Using surveys for this forecasting has shown to be of low relevance, as
individuals have not developed an opinión on certain aspects and,
consequently, they cannot predict how would they react in front of a
certain innovation.
We are considering to use quasi-experiments or even some sort of role
playing or gammification, but I was wondering if any of you may have
experience or references on that.

Any help or hint would be much appreciated.

All the best,

*Liliana Arroyo Moliner*, PhD
Eticas Research & Consulting
C/ Ferlandina, 49 (08001 Barcelona) / Reloj 2 (28770 Madrid)
+34 936 005 400 - www.eticasconsulting.com - @eticasconsult