[Air-L] CFP, ISA 2016 - Viewing Politics and the Politics of Viewing - Visuality, Resolution, and Digital Technologies

Sandra Yao sandraj.yao at gmail.com
Thu May 21 10:33:09 PDT 2015

Dear All,

Apologies for crossposting.
Please find below a CFP for a panel I'm organizing with Benjamin Butler on
digital visual mediums and the politics behind them for the International
Studies Association Annual Conference, held March 16-19 in Atlanta. We hope
this might be of interest to some!

-------

*Title: *Viewing Politics and the Politics of Viewing - Visuality,
Resolution, and Digital Technologies

As subjects within a digitizing world, we both view and are viewed through
the various lenses that bring our daily lives into focus. These actions
make spaces intelligible, help us connect with friends and colleagues, and
help us pass the time. While new technologies both help with and condition
how we organize and manage our daily lives, they also disrupt, impose, and
enable new forms of socio-technical relations. Their  shaping of the field
of possibilities manifests through the targeting, technification and
digitization of material, social, and political spaces.

This panel explores the socio-political effects of these means by thinking
through the discourses, understandings, and uses of particular (digital)
technologies. Focusing on digital visual mediums such as games, satellites,
or imaging, panelists ask how using these technologies to view the earth,
its landscapes and inhabitants, destabilizes the nature of what it means to
be the viewer, viewed or both. This panel invites papers that critically
reflect upon the ways that imaging technologies are both limits on, and
generative of, the politics of space and management of territory.

Example keywords - technology; satellites; games; viewing; targeting;
political geography; surveillance; biopolitics

*Please email abstracts of no more than 200 words to Sandra Yao at
sandra.yao at uottawa.ca <sandra.yao at uottawa.ca> no later than May 28th.*

--

Sandra J. Yao

PhD Candidate, School of Political Studies, University of Ottawa

Candidate au doctorat, École d'études politiques. Université d'Ottawa