[Air-L] Towards a people's Internet

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue May 26 00:55:05 PDT 2015

It's great to see the level of interest/enthusiasm elicited by Becky's
excellent post.

To reiterate and clarify a bit.

The World Social Forum (WSF) <https://fsm2015.org/en>  which is meeting (for
the first time in the "Global North") in Montreal in 2016
<http://www.fsm2016.org/en/>  is the major meeting ground for global Civil
Society advocates, activists, organizations and individuals. It is typically
attended by upwards of 40,000 individuals from all over the world with
thousands of (competing) events, advocacy processes, mobilization and
coalition development initiatives and so on.

The notion of an Internet Social Forum (ISF)
<http://www.internetsocialforum.net/>  was introduced at the recent WSF in
Tunis <http://www.fsm2015.org/>  as a potential thematic area within the
WSF.  The intention was to focus on democratization and social justice and
related issues
<https://gurstein.wordpress.com/2015/04/02/the-internet-social-forum-and-the
-global-internet-community/>  as they pertain particularly to Internet
Governance (understood in the broadest terms). Notably there is also a
likely parallelism with the on-going stream of Internet Governance
activities as for example, the Internet Governance Forum
<http://www.intgovforum.org/>  (IGF) and ICANN <https://www.icann.org/> .
The IGF notably is a specific follow-on from the UN’s World Summit on the
Information Society <http://www.itu.int/wsis/>  (WSIS)  which has met
annually since WSIS and will be meeting this year in November in Brazil, but
which has not itself engaged with the social justice implications and
impacts of the Internet.

The primary driver behind the ISF has been a coalition led by the Just Net
Coalition (JNC), whose Declaration
<http://justnetcoalition.org/delhi-declaration>  I circulated to this list
some time ago and to which several of you folks appended your names.

The intention at this moment seems to be that a dedicated ISF will be held
(very likely in India) within about a year with an affiliation with the WSF
as per the ISF invitation document <http://justnetcoalition.org/ISF> .  It
is also almost certain that the ISF will have some sort of preparatory
meeting/event at the Montreal WSF which is what I believe that Becky was
pointing to.

There are several ways among others in which AoIR or AoIR folks could become
part of the above processes including by joining or becoming affiliated with
the JNC, choosing to become a partner/sponsor of the ISF or joining the ISF
discussion <http://internetsocialforum.net/Join_ISF>  list or the more
general Internet democracy and social justice oriented JNC forum
<http://mail.justnetcoalition.org/listinfo/forum> . The notion that appears
implicit in this discussion, that a research element be developed in the
context of the ISF seems to me to be an excellent one but necessarily would
need to focus I believe, on issues of inclusion, democracy and social
justice as they pertain to Internet Governance and the on-going evolution
and development of the Internet.

(For clarification/identification I'm on the Steering Committee of the JNC
and have been actively involved in the development of the ISF to its current
status.)

Mike

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
Editor in Chief: Journal of Community Informatics
web:  <http://ci-journal.net/> http://ci-journal.net

Executive Director: Centre for Community Informatics Research, Development
and Training (CCIRDT)
Vancouver, BC CANADA

tel/fax:  <tel:%2B1-604-602-0624> +1-604-602-0624
email:  <mailto:gurstein at gmail.com> gurstein at gmail.com
blog:  <http://gurstein.wordpress.com/> http://gurstein.wordpress.com

twitter: @michaelgurstein