[Air-L] PhD Fellowships in Journalism Studies at University of Maryland

Sarah Ann Oates soates at umd.edu
Mon Nov 16 07:40:59 PST 2015

The digital age is both changing journalism and offering great opportunities for understanding how news is produced and consumed. This is a key research area for the Philip Merrill College of Journalism Ph.D. program.

A deep understanding of the past, present, and future of journalism is critical to democracy We foster this inquiry through faculty members at the College who research journalism, a network of courses and colleagues across the university who teach our students in related subjects (including courses at the UMD iSchool), as well as elite cohorts of Ph.D. students who pursue the in-depth study of journalism in its current and evolving forms.

Are you interested in joining us? We are accepting applications for full fellowships (tuition and living expenses) to our program until February 1st. We offer a supportive, personalized teaching experience within the broader context of a range of opportunities across the University of Maryland. Small class sizes and a tradition of joint research with faculty members foster a collegial atmosphere and successful students. More than 80 percent of our Ph.D. graduates go on to the careers in university teaching, including a significant number in tenure-track jobs.

We are seeking people who want academic and research careers in the field of journalism studies. The program is focused on a range of topics including studies of the audience in the digital age, journalistic practice and ethics, journalism history, and journalism in the global context. We benefit from our proximity to Washington, D.C., a short metro ride away, as well as from an inquisitive and international community of scholars at the University of Maryland.

For more details of our program, see http://merrill.umd.edu/academics/phd-program/. In addition, you can contact the Director of Doctoral Studies (Prof. Sarah Oates) at soates at umd.edu for more information. Here is a link to some frequently asked questions: http://merrill.umd.edu/academics/phd-program/ph-d-faq/

Sarah Oates
Professor and Senior Scholar
Philip Merrill College of Journalism
2215 John S. and James L. Knight Hall
7765 Alumni Drive
University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742-7111
phone: +1 301 405 4510

Email: soates at umd.edu