[Air-L] CFP: ICA Internet governance pre-conference

Dmitry Epstein dmitry.epstein at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 14:27:45 PST 2015

Hello everyone,

I am re-sending my previous message that bounced back due to an attachment.

At the moment, however, there seem to be two ICA pre-conferences on
Internet governance. To clear the confusion, this one will take place in
Tokyo.

I am pasting the call below and it is also available online:
http://giga-net.org/page/ica2016intgov

Please consider submitting and feel free to distribute widely.

Thank you!
Dima

P.S. Thank you again to Alex and his team for the excellent conference!

======

ICA 2016 Preconference Call for Papers

Power, communication, and technology in Internet governance

Organized by GigaNet (Global Internet Governance Academic Network)
Co-Sponsored by ICA's Communication Law and Policy, and Communication and
Technology Divisions

Hosted by Kanazawa Institute of Technology (Tokyo campus) Wednesday, 8 June
2016

Extended abstract due: 15 January 2016 Full papers due: 15 April 2016

Submit at: http://tiny.cc/ica2016intgov

Research on Internet governance has been gaining momentum since the concept
broke into public and policy discourses in the years leading to, and
especially during, the WSIS (World Summit on Information Society). The year
2015 marks the 10thanniversary of the WSIS process and the year 2016 marks
the 10th anniversary of the first GigaNet symposium, which owes its genesis
to a joint ICA-IAMCR workshop and has been part of the Internet Governance
Forum since 2006. Over the years research on Internet governance has
evolved and is no longer focused solely on Internet infrastructure and
politics surrounding its protocols, unique identifiers, and domain names.
Social media, sharing economy, cyberwarfare, Internet of things, and
wearable technology are just a few relatively new developments raising new
governance challenges. Yet, even with the expanding boundaries, the core
questions of Internet governance remain focused on the intersection of
power, communication, and technology.

With this pre-conference we want to embark on a boundary searching exercise
for Internet governance studies. What do we see as cutting edge work on
Internet governance both conceptually and empirically? What questions do
Internet governance researchers ask? What methods are they using? What
theories do they build upon? What are the burning issues and the most
provocative challenges in the field? What are the best cases illustrating
those issues and challenges? How has Internet governance changed over the
years? What are the events that have shaped this trajectory? What have we
learned about technology, politics, agency, and power over close to two
decades of Internet governance research? What are we expecting Internet
governance to encompass in the years to come? What forces will shape it?

We invite contributions from researchers working on Internet governance
questions in the broadest sense. All theoretical and methodological
approaches are welcome. Potential more specific topics may include, but are
in no way limited to, the following:

   -

    Meta explorations of Internet governance research (paradigms,
   theories, methods).
   -

    Multidisciplinarity in Internet governance research: key concepts,
   methodological challenges,

   theoretical innovations.
   -

    Power dynamics in Internet governance ecosystem.

   -

    Internet Governance 10 years after the WSIS.
   -

    Analyzing, critiquing or supporting multistakeholder governance as an
   ideology or practice.
   -

    Reflecting and analyzing the outcome of UN negotiations about
   prolongation of IGF mandate.
   -

    Sustainable development and inequalities as it relates to global
   Internet Governance.
   -

    Trade agreements and Internet governance.
   -

    Technical, legal and policy initiatives for cybersecurity and their
   impact on global Internet

   Governance.
   -

    The respective powers of the users, technology designers and
   regulators in distributed systems.
   -

    The changing role of governments in Internet governance.
   -

    Analysis of key Internet governance concepts such as net neutrality,
   multistakeholderism, digital

   divide, etc., and their contestations.

   The preconference is organized by Global Internet Governance Academic
   Network (GigaNet) and co- sponsored by the ICA Communication Law and Policy
   and Communication and Technology divisions, but it touches upon the fields
   of many more ICA divisions and interest groups. We aim to bring together
   researchers from different theoretical and methodological backgrounds, as
   well as practically oriented researchers of Internet governance. Given the
   location of ICA this year and our plan to have the pre- conference in
   Tokyo, we hope to see increased participation of researchers from the
   region. Depending on the mix of submissions we will seek to engage in a
   dialogue with the local community of Internet governance practitioners. Our
   goal to have a mutual learning process and exchange of ideas and challenges
   for the further development of Internet governance research.

   SUBMISSION DETAILS

   At this time we invite authors to submit extended abstracts (800-1000
   words) that describe the main thesis, research goals, and to the extent
   possible, the methodological background and findings of their paper. All
   extended abstracts must be uploaded through EasyChair at
   http://tiny.cc/ica2016intgov by 15 January 2016, with all identifying
   information removed. All contributions will be blindly peer-reviewed, and
   acceptance notifications will be sent out before the end of February 2015.

   Authors of the accepted abstracts will be asked to submit a full
   original manuscript of approximately 4000 to 8000 words, which have not
   been published elsewhere, by 15 April 2016. Based on the volume and the
   quality of submissions we intend to explore a potential thematic
   publication of pre-conference materials.

   PRE-CONFERENCE LOGISTICS

   The preconference will take place on Wednesday, 8 June 2016 on the Tokyo
   campus of Kanazawa Institute of Technology. Presenters are expected to
   register for the pre-conference, but registration is open to both
   presenters and non-presenters. At the moment, the registration fees stand
   at 75 USD.

   GigaNet is an international association of academic researchers with a
   focus on the multidisciplinary field of Internet Governance. It was founded
   in 2006 and is open to researchers from all over the world who are
   contributing to local, regional and international debates on Internet
   Governance. More information on GigaNet's institutional structures and
   activities can be found on the website http://www.giga-net.org.

   For any direct inquiries regarding this preconference, please contact:
   Dmitry Epstein (dmitry at uic.edu)