[Air-L] Gamergate teaching resources

lindsay blackwell lblackw at umich.edu
Fri Oct 9 17:54:15 PDT 2015

Hi Mike,

Here are two GamerGate timelines I've found very helpful: RationalWiki's
<http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Gamergate> is the most thorough
(and quick to update—they've already added the #TakeBackTheTech attack
discussed on this list earlier today). RW's timeline is fairly blatantly
anti-GG, though, so it may be helpful to have students compare with this
timeline by sulfura3
<http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/336432/The-GamerGate-Chronicles/#vars!date=2014-10-22_00:27:45!>,
a pro-GGer.

As for readings, you might consider the GamerGate chapter from Felicia
Day's new book
<http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Never-Weird-Internet-Almost-ebook/dp/B00QNW8KR4>,
or Time's "GamerGate FAQ <http://time.com/3510381/gamergate-faq/>" from
August 2014. If you're looking for one specific event, the Utah State
terror threat
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/15/gamergate-feminist-video-game-critic-anita-sarkeesian-cancels-utah-lecture-after-threat-citing-police-inability-to-prevent-concealed-weapons-at-event/>
preceding
a (later cancelled) campus appearance by Anita Sarkeesian is an interesting
case, particularly because Sarkeesian herself first heard about the threat on
Twitter <http://www.motherjones.com/media/2014/10/gamergate-explained>, not
from USU administrators.

Several more incendiary options: "#GamerGate in 60 seconds
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipcWm4B3EU4>" (pro-GG), listening to one
of the death threats <https://soundcloud.com/briannaspacekat/death-threats>
Brianna Wu received, or having students browse through r/KotakuInAction
<https://www.reddit.com/r/kotakuinaction>, GamerGate's primary hub.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Lindsay Blackwell <http://www.lindsayblackwell.net>