[Air-L] Ethics of using hacked data.

Anna Lauren Hoffmann annalauren at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 7 15:26:49 PDT 2015

I was just having this discussion with a student after a webinar on Ashley
Madison that we hosted for students here at the Berkeley I School - thought
I'd share some of what I shared with the student in case folks find it
useful.

The short response is: it's difficult to give an all-or-nothing sort of
answer to the question of using stolen data, as there are a number of
considerations we need to fold in. (I won't speak directly to Patreon, but
a lot of the context below applies, I think.) In particular, it's important
to keep in mind means and ends in a professional context. To illustrate, we
can consider two main groups that have an interest in the contents of the
AM data dump: academic researchers and journalists.

One of the primary "ends" of journalism, at least ideally, is service to
the public interest. With that in mind, we permit or tolerate - from a
professional ethical perspective, at least - journalists to mine and
explore stolen information so long as it is for reasons that can be
justified in terms of public interest. There are lots of precedents here,
from Watergate to Snowden to Wikileaks cables and so on.

A good example in this particular case is the Gizmodo reporting on Ashley
Madison <http://gizmodo.com/the-fembots-of-ashley-madison-1726670394>:
exposing the "fembots" (or fake, automated profiles) of Ashley Madison lays
bare a deceptive practice that consumers and the FTC have an legitimate
interest in knowing about. In another example, there are cases of
individuals reporting on public figures that might be included in the
database - in the aftermath of the hack, some outlets have reported on the
private emails of the CEO of AM parent company Avid Life Media (whose
relevance to the hack is obvious) while others broke the news that
conservative "family values" cultural figure Josh Duggar was using the
service. I think the case for investigating the CEO here (by, for example,
exposing his private emails) is ethically justifiable (though I think the
case for exposing Duggar is not as straightforward, but it's a legitimate
open question - by way of a counterargument, Dan Savage, in particular, really,
really thinks that exposing Duggar is justifiable
<http://www.bioethics.net/2015/09/ashley-madison-using-stolen-data/>.) At
the same time, we would not tolerate journalists targeting and exposing the
details of non-public figures in the dataset. That would be bullying or
harassment - and definitely unethical.

For academic researchers, our ends aren't *necessarily* public interest
(though there can be clear connections to the public interest in some
cases, like the West Virginia researchers that exposed VW's cheating
software
<http://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/advanced-cars/how-professors-caught-vw-cheating>).
Setting aside romantic notions of progress and "the glory of science"), the
ends of research can be variously ontological, epistemological, political,
etc...

Over time, we've decided - in part as a response to past ethical
transgressions  - that, regardless of the ends of our research, there are
certain values we shouldn't compromise in the pursuit of knowledge - chief
among them is the value of respect. As the Belmont Report and other
research documents, the notion of informed consent is one of the main ways
(if not *the* main way) in which we operationalize the value of respect in
practice. The challenge that the Ashley Madison data poses for researchers,
then, is that those included in the dataset never consented to being a part
of research (and, indeed, it could probably be assumed that many of the
affected individuals would definitely not agree to disclose many of these
intimate details to researchers without certain guarantees of privacy).

So, I'm not sure what the legal status of conducting research on a stolen
database might be (I don't have the legal background to answer that
question) - but from an ethical perspective, concerns with consent and
respect are still absolutely pressing. So, rather than giving a blanket
"yes" or "no" from an ethical perspective, I think it is important to
consider 1) the kinds of research questions you would want to ask and why,
2) what the relationship of your research might be to your institution's
IRB (if you're at the kind of institution that has one, anyway) given that
the dataset contains human subjects, and 3) what possible further harms
your research might cause if not approached properly. (Plus: even if
consent is out of the picture, we still have other important values to
which we can appeal - such as beneficence, justice, care, etc...).

-Anna

-----
Anna Lauren Hoffmann
Professional Faculty & Postdoctoral Researcher
School of Information
University of California, Berkeley