[Air-L] research protocols in search engines

Hollister, Jonathan jmh09k at my.fsu.edu
Fri Oct 16 13:34:42 PDT 2015

I'd suggest poking around in the research area of Information Retrieval (IR), as testing search engines, their algorithms, search terms, and accuracy/number of results would be more in their purview and you could likely borrow a protocol they have used and apply to your particular research topic.  While I am in Library and Information Science (LIS), IR is not my specialty.  However, if you have access to the Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts (LISTA) or Library Literature & Information Science Full Text databases you might be able to find something there.  Otherwise, particular journals, such as the Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, Information Retrieval Journal or maybe the Journal of Documentation might be good places to start looking.  Otherwise, I'd suggest contacting your neighborhood librarian :)

Hope this helps!

~Jon

Jonathan M. Hollister, MSLIS
Doctoral Candidate