[Air-L] CFP: Different Games Conference 2016

Brian McKernan brian.mckernan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 17:57:21 PDT 2015

Different Games invites participants for its 2016 edition at NYU's
Polytechnic School of Engineering, located in Brooklyn, NY, on Friday April
8 and Saturday April 9.

Over three years of presenting New York City’s first conference on
diversity and inclusivity in games culture, Different Games has drawn more
than 700 attendees to NYU’s Downtown Brooklyn campus, in addition to more
than 100 arcade games and 150 presenters and speakers! We are thrilled to
invite submissions for our fourth annual event which welcomes proposals
from all members of the games community — whether designers, students,
activists, researchers, journalists and others — to present as part of our
two-day program.

*Introducing our 2016 Track Chairs*

This year, Different Games is thrilled to welcome 8 respected colleagues on
board as our first ever DG Track Chairs. This group of artists, game
designers and academics have proposed calls for content in areas of
interest to the DG community and will join us in reviewing the 2016
submissions. We’re humbled to have them join us by volunteering their
vision and expertise to shape the content of this year’s event. While
submissions are welcome on all topics related to inclusivity, diversity and
other themes of interest to the DG community, we’re pleased to announce the
following DG Conference tracks and the chairs who will be presenting them:

   - Affective Play - Kara Stone
   - Video Games in Latin America - Edgar Serrano
   - Video Games & Indigenous Culture- Edgar Serrano
   - Accessible Game Design - Rees Shad
   - Participatory Game Design - Margarida Romero
   - Race and Culture in Games - Chris Algoo
   - Player Agency, Mods, and Glitches - Yifat Shaik

 For more information about these tracks, please visit our conference
website 2016.differentgames.org

*Submission Formats*

Submissions of Paper Presentations and Talks as well as Workshops and
Breakout Groups open on 10/16/15 and will be accepted until 12/15/15.

*Paper Presentations and Talks*

We invite designers, academics and other creative minds to share recent
projects as speakers on our conference panels. Possible topics may include,
but are not limited to: post mortems, design methodology, reflections on
playtesting, analysis/commentary on games content (theme, gender,
sexuality, etc.), game reception, and game culture/communities. If your
talk will be presented collaboratively, please include bios and links for
both presenters.

*Workshop or Breakout Groups*

We invite topic-specific or exploratory discussions on challenges and
solutions for promoting diversity and inclusion in the broader game
community/communities and other pertinent subjects. Hands-on workshop
sessions geared towards learning design, development or other creative and
professional skills are also invited. Proposals for both workshops and
breakout groups include an overview addressing the question of what
participants can expect to learn or take away from the session and an
explanation of what (if any) equipment participants will need to in order
to participate. If your session will be facilitated collaboratively, please
include bios and links for all co-facilitators.

*Arcade Submissions open on 10/16/15 and will be accepted until 1/22/16.*

*Arcade Games*

Designers interested in showcasing their game in the Different Games arcade
should submit a brief project overview (no more than 500 words) that
presents their design vision and the concept for the game and explains any
special hardware requirements for presenting their game. In addition,
please submit the cover art and two screenshots of gameplay. We welcome
students’ work and and pieces that will be in (beta) or playtesting phase
as well as those further along in the development process. Analog games,
non screen-based digital games and other types of media such as short
films, installations or interactive art related to the themes of the
conference are welcome as well. Please include an explanation of any space
and hardware requirements along with your project overview.

For more information or to submit to Different Games 2016, please visit our
conference website 2016.differentgames.org. If you’d like to view last
year’s conference sessions and arcade titles, visit 2015.differentgames.org
<http://www.2015.differentgames.org/>. For more information about Different
Games Collective, please visit differentgames.org
<http://www.differentgames.org/>. Send questions to
DifferentGamesConference at gmail.com.