[Air-L] Two postdoc positions at the Oxford Internet Institute

Vili Lehdonvirta vili at lehdonvirta.com
Mon Oct 26 15:25:38 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I'm looking for two great postdocs to join me for at least 3.5 years to study how ICTs are being used to transform the labour market, through online labour marketplaces, ride hailing apps, and similar digital platforms:

http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/newpositions/#p53

I'm especially looking for social scientists with qualitative research skills and theoretical backgrounds relevant to examining the social construction/shaping of markets, technologies, and labour movements. Using selected platforms as cases, they will study online labour markets' formal and informal rules, how these rules are made and how they influence participants, and how participants are attempting to influence the rules in this digital economy of private and algorithmic regulation. The postdocs will work together with me and Dr Otto Kässi, a labour economist/data scientist who will be heading the project's quantitative aspects.

A detailed job description and selection criteria document can be found through the above link. I think these are really quite exciting positions in that they are situated in a fantastic department at the University of Oxford and deal with theoretically interesting and extremely policy-relevant topics. I'm very happy to answer any questions from potential candidates via email. The application deadline is 26 November.

All the best,
Vili
--
Dr Vili Lehdonvirta
Research Fellow & DPhil Programme Director

Working papers:
Algorithms That Divide and Unite: Delocalization, Identity, and Collective Action in ‘Microwork’
Online labour markets – leveling the playing field for international service markets?
Do platforms connect clients directly to providers? The new network patterns of digital work