[Air-L] seeing northern Arizona beyond IR-16

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 20 08:56:26 PDT 2015

Although I won't be going to IR16, I've just returned from vacationing in
northern Arizona, and I strongly reccomend you do the same after the
conference. Here are my recommends:

1. Grand Canyon, of course. But more than just the wonderful sights from
the Rim, walk down the Kaibab Trail to Oh-Ah Point (at least) or 2x as far
to Cedar Ridge. Kaibab preferable to Bright Angel Trail, because less mule
residue. Take trail early to avoid sun/heat near midday, 7 or 8AM start
using the Hiker Express bus. We walked to Cedar Ridge in 2 hours, and back
up in 3. And we're in early 70s. Don't stay at over-priced El Tovar Hotel.

2. Then drive 3 hours NE to Monument Valley, home of John Ford/Wayne
scenicly great "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" etc/ (Politically incorrect,
though.) Stay at Gouldings Lodge and take Jeep tour. Experience Navaho
culture. Less pressure of tourists than Grand Canyon

3. Then drive 1.5 hrs to Chinle/Canyon de Chelly, and take another jeep
tour with Navaho guide. Beautiful, & almost devoid of tourists. Stay at
Best Western.

4. On drive back next day, lunch in Globo at Sweethearts Cafe. Great food
& service.

   Barry Wellman
   FRSC                 INSNA Founder               University of Toronto
   NETWORKED:The New Social Operating System.  Lee Rainie & Barry Wellman
   MIT Press            http://amzn.to/zXZg39        Print $14  Kindle $9