[Air-L] Ethics of using hacked data.

Fred Fuchs fred at firesabre.com
Wed Oct 7 21:56:22 PDT 2015

On 10/7/2015 10:06 PM, Charles Ess wrote:
> Dear all,
> what a great question, and what helpful responses!

> In the Stine Lomborg example: her taking the more demanding ethical step of
> asking for informed consent has the advantage of not only  going further to
> ensure basic rights protections - and this, I'm pretty sure, on both
> deontological and feminist grounds; in addition, had this been an
> international project, the stronger ethical approach here would have
> simultaneously met the comparatively weaker demands of a consequentialist
> approach.

For discussion, to what extent would requiring informed consent affect
sampling? Are there effective ways to deal with this?

> Lastly, I'm wondering if anyone has developed analogies from biomedical
> ethics, i.e., of using medical data drawn from clearly illegal and
> unethical work (most notoriously, Nazi and Japanese experiments, but
> certainly also the infamous Tuskeegee Institute work - when they can be
> legitimately called that)?

The analogy using the Nazi case isn't a good one. The Nazi were not
doing anything close to good science even by the standards of the day.

The discussion here presupposes that those using data obtained through
hacking would be doing good science.

So, ultimately, this is not a proper or useful comparison.

Fred

--
Fred Fuchs - Founder, CEO, & Producer
FireSabre Consulting LLC