[Air-L] Ethics of using hacked data.

Alex Halavais alex at halavais.net
Thu Oct 8 10:08:01 PDT 2015

Fred:

Just a note of clarification. The question isn't whether the research
being proposed is like that of Nazis. It's whether data obtained in
unethical ways can be used to an ethical end, or (to draw on my Law &
Order knowledge), it represents the fruit of a poisonous tree. I think
you could say that in kind, human experimentation on high-altitude or
vivisections are a different animal than illegal computer intrusion
and theft of data (though criminal penalties in the US would likely be
pretty similar). Nonetheless, the basic question is pretty parallel, I
think:

http://bioethics.as.nyu.edu/docs/IO/30171/Steinberg.HumanResearch.pdf

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/naziexp.html

- Alex