[Air-L] 2 job postings at Cornell

Lee H. Humphreys lmh13 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 4 10:10:51 PDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I am super excited to share our announcement that we are hiring two positions this year - both of which are relevant to the AoIR community. I’ll be chairing the search committee for one of the positions, so don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. Below are the official job postings. Please help us spread the word!

Sincerely,
Lee

Lee Humphreys, PhD
Associate Professor
Dept of Communication
Cornell University

Assistant Professor, Department of Communication, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS), Cornell University
The Department of Communication at Cornell University is currently searching for two 9-month tenure-track faculty members at the Assistant Professor level. Applicants for either position whose work also contributes to other core strengths in science, health, and the environment, information technology, and/or social influence are encouraged to apply.  Both positions involve 50% research and 50% teaching responsibilities. Communication faculty teach two to three undergraduate and/or graduate courses per academic year and advise students in the Department’s B.S. and Ph.D. programs. We will give preference to candidates whose research and/or professional experience would enable them to teach an undergraduate theory-based course in new media and society (Position 1) or visual aspects of communication (Position 2) as well as specialized undergraduate and graduate courses in the candidate’s area of expertise.  The anticipated start date is July 1, 2016.
Position 1 - New Media and Society: We seek a colleague to conduct research and teach in the areas of new media and society. We welcome innovative and imaginative scholars who approach the study of the societal practices, meanings, and impacts of digital media in the public realm. Scholars with specific expertise in mixed methods, qualitative, historical, or cultural methodologies are particularly encouraged to apply. The new media studies area constitutes one of the Department’s core strengths.
Position 2 – Visual Aspects of Communication: We seek a colleague whose research program includes (but need not be limited to), the study of innovative methods, theory, and tools for visualizing information and understanding the role of visual features in multiple communication contexts.  Such contexts could include: social media content, analysis and visualization of big data, virtual/augmented reality, traditional formats (e.g., print, television), advertising, or persuasion.
Cornell’s Department of Communication is an international leader in the study of communication as a social science. Our faculty and students are dedicated to understanding the role and enhancing the effectiveness of communication processes, systems, and infrastructure in society. We explore communication in its many forms and contexts as a fundamentally social phenomenon. Our faculty members are recognized for developing and applying novel theoretical perspectives to the most pressing social and policy issues of the day.  The department is ranked among the top ten in the nation in a recent study by the National Research Council. This ranking reflects the productivity and quality of the faculty and the diversity and success of our students. The department has also recently moved into brand-new, state-of-the-art office space that encourages collaborative work.
Publishing in peer-reviewed literature in relevant fields is expected, as is securing external research funding. The successful candidate would be expected to seek competitive funding from foundations as well as state and federal funding agencies, enhancing our already active grant efforts from NSF, NIH and other government and private funding sources. Department faculty participate actively in Cornell's vibrant interdisciplinary community, such as through the Institute for Social Sciences, the Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future, the Bronfenbrenner Center for Translational Research, the Cornell NYC Tech campus, and the Weill Cornell Medical School and collaborations with other departments, such as Information Science, Science & Technology Studies, the Johnson Graduate School of Management, and Policy Analysis and Management. For more information about the Department of Communication, please visit our website: http://communication.cals.cornell.edu<http://communication.cals.cornell.edu/>.
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) is the second largest undergraduate college at Cornell University and the third largest college of its kind in the United States. Our teaching and research facilities are among the finest available anywhere, and the College's educational programs are designed to ensure that every student's education is geared to contemporary, real-world issues. Through teaching, research, and extension -- the three components of our land-grant mission -- we strive to help people improve their lives, to enhance the environment, and to improve the nation's food supply and maintain its safety.
Required Qualifications:
A successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in Communication or a closely aligned field completed by the date of appointment and will have (or show promise of developing) a national and international reputation doing theory-based empirical research. We seek innovative scholars of social science who will develop a research program connected to college and university priorities in addressing how people communicate, interact, learn, lead, and shape enterprises of all scales to improve the well-being of individuals, communities, and economies around the world.
Salary and Benefits:
Cornell offers a highly competitive salary and benefits package. Support for start-up research costs will be available.
Cornell University seeks to meet the needs of dual career couples, has a Dual Career program, and is a member of the Upstate New York Higher Education Recruitment Consortium to assist with dual career searches. Visit http://www.unyherc.org<http://www.unyherc.org/> to see positions available in higher education in the upstate New York area.
Application:
Cornell strives to promote diversity across its student, staff, and faculty communities. Women and members of communities traditionally underrepresented in academe are especially encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants should submit a letter of application addressing position qualifications and goals, Curriculum Vitae, official academic transcripts from your graduate program, a writing sample, a teaching statement, and names and contact information of three references. Please apply via Academic Jobs On-line:
Assistant Professor of New Media and Society<https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/6071>
Assistant Professor of Visual Aspects of Communication<https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/6072>

The positions will remain open until filled.  Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2015 and applications received by October 15, 2015 will be given full consideration.
For questions regarding the positions, please contact the following:

·       Dr. Lee Humphreys at lmh13 at cornell.edu<mailto:lmh13 at cornell.edu> for the Assistant Professor of New Media and Society position

·       Dr. Poppy L. McLeod at plm29 at cornell.edu<mailto:plm29 at cornell.edu> for the Assistant Professor of Visual Aspects of Communication position

College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Knowledge with Public Purpose

Cornell University, located in Ithaca, New York, is an inclusive, dynamic, and innovative Ivy League University and New York’s land-grant institution.  Its staff, faculty, and students impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas and best practices to further the university’s mission of teaching, research, and outreach.
 Diversity and inclusion have been and continue to be a part of our heritage. Cornell University is a recognized EEO/AA employer and educator.