[Air-L] Experiences on publishing with Lexington

Patrick Williams subcultures at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 18:45:58 PDT 2015

Dear Susan and other interested parties,

Apologies in advance for playing devil's advocate here, but proofreading is
the responsibility of the author/editor unless a special agreement has been
made for the publisher to do it. Typically the author/editor will pay for
such service, either up front or through royalty deductions. So a couple of
follow-up questions are in order to clarify what happened in your case.
Note I'm assuming you were not the editor of the book since you wrote, "I
contributed a chapter to a book."

1) were the grammatical errors yours originally, or did somebody at
Lexington change what you wrote and thereby introduced the errors? If they
were your errors, were you given a chance to to see proofs and make
corrections to them? If yes, did you make corrections that were
subsequently ignored by Lexington? If no, was this because Lexington didn't
send proofs to the editors, or because the editors didn't send proofs to
you?

2) were the formatting errors (e.g., the table of contents) brought to
Lexington's attention during the proofing stage, or after the proofs had
been finalized and the book was printed?

I think understanding the details here will help others decide about how to
judge Lexington's publishing practices.

Cheers,

-p.