[Air-L] organizational behavior and social media, asking for recommendations

Michael Muller michael_muller at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 7 18:31:08 PDT 2015

Dear All,

I apologize for self-citation.  We at IBM have done a series of papers on
social media in organizations, which may be of interest.

Please see papers by Tara Matthews and colleagues about online communities
in organizations, in the ACM Digital Library, such as:
- Matthews et al., "They said what?..." Proc. CSCW 2015
- Matthews et al., "Goals and perceived success..." Proc. CHI 2014
- Matthews et al., "Beyond end user content..." Proc. CSCW 2014
- Matthews et al., "Community insights..." Proc. CHI 2013
- Xu et al., "Community compare..." Proc. CHI 2013

Please see also other papers on online communities in organizations:
- Ehrlich et al., "What motivates members..." CSCW Companion 2014
- Muller et al., "Diversity among enterprise online communities..." Proc
CHI 2012
- Muller and Chua, "Brainstorming for Japan..." Proc. CHI 2012
- Muller, "Lurking as personal..." Proc. CSCW 2012
(See also work on online social-sharing from MITRE, by people like Laura
Damianos and Jill Drury.)

We have also worked with social file-sharing in organizations:
- Shami et al., "Browse and discover..." Proc. CSCW 2011
- Muller et al., "We are all lurkers..." Proc. GROUP 2010
- Muller et al., "Patterns of usage in an enterprise file-sharing..."
Proc. CHI 2010
(See also some lovely work on social file sharing in a very different
organizational environment by Emilie Rader, also in the ACM Digital
Library.)

Also, we have done some work to use enterprise social media as a way to
gauge aspects of employees' engagement in their workplace:
- Shami et al., "Inferring employee engagement..." Proc. CHI 2015
- Shami et al., "Social media participation and performance..." Proc. CHI
2014
- Shami et al., "Understanding employee social media chatter..." Proc.
CSCW 2014

There has also been some work on blogging in organizations, from Microsoft
by people like Jonathan Grudin and Eric Horvath.

best,
--michael
-----
Michael Muller, PhD, IBM Research, Cambridge MA USA