[Air-L] Must reads on "conceptions of power of numbers/big data"

Alex Leavitt alexleavitt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 13:28:12 PDT 2015

I cannot recommend highly enough the work of Diana Forsythe; people are now
discovering in their own fieldwork what she had already said a decade ago:

Forsythe, D. (2002). Studying Those Who Study Us: An Anthropologist in the
World of Artificial Intelligence. David Hess, ed. Stanford: Stanford
University Press.

The other important source would be Lucy Suchman's work:

Suchman, L. (1994). Do categories have politics? : the language/action
perspective reconsidered. In: Computer Supported Cooperative Work. 2, 3, p.
177-190.

I've also compiled a small collection of resources and people interested in
digital ethnography. Literature is available here:
https://www.zotero.org/groups/digitalethnography

---

Alexander Leavitt
PhD Candidate
USC Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
http://alexleavitt.com
Twitter: @alexleavitt <http://twitter.com/alexleavitt>