[Air-L] work on history of reputation as a social construct?

Cory Salveson corysalveson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 20:21:39 PDT 2015

Hi Julie,

Are you looking at work on social capital theory? I think particularly of
Bourdieu. Although I can't think of any work of his specifically devoted to
"reputation" per se (though Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgment
of Taste and Language & Symbolic Power do come to mind), some searching
yielded a passage in a recent, edited book that summarizes his
understanding of the topic:
https://books.google.com/books?id=LViiAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT278&dq=bourdieu+reputation.
The original paper appears to be available here:
https://www.academia.edu/6636459/Reputation_among_the_Hungarian_Intellectual_Elite.
Though the book and paper are contemporary, Bourdieu's theoretical approach
was developed starting in the 1970s, and was not (at least in this context)
reacting to the Internet specifically.

Good luck,

Cory Salveson
http://corysalveson.com