[Air-L] "creepy" social media studies

Greg Elmer gelmer at ryerson.ca
Wed Sep 30 13:21:41 PDT 2015

Hi folks, wondering if anyone has come across research that discusses
users' feelings of being creeped out or similar expressions of discomfort
with regards to the surveillant capacities and techniques of social media.
Please email me off-list and I can post a summary if there is interest.
/Greg Elmer

Greg Elmer, PhD
Professor of Media, Communication & Culture
Bell Media Research Chair & Director, Infoscape Research Lab
Ryerson University, Toronto

Preempting Dissent <http://www.preemptingdissent.com/>: A creative commons
documentary film that investigates the genesis of the Miami Model of
protest policing. Winner of the Action on Film Festival's 2014 Award for
Best Social Commentary Film.

The Canadian Delegation <http://www.thecanadiandelegation.com/>: In the
summer of 1989, as the Soviet bloc crumbles and China fends of a democratic
revolt, the head of Canada's Young Communist League leads a delegation of
youth to an international student festival in one of the most isolated and
enigmatic nations in the world. This feature documentary film is currently
in production.