[Air-L] CFP Gender and Games Trilogy seeking Book Chapter Proposals

Gerald Voorhees dr.g.voorhees at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 08:05:19 PDT 2015

Acknowledging that gaming acts as a key – and heavily contested -- site of
subject formation in the lives of those who play, we are soliciting
explorations of the gendered practices enacted in relation to games and
gaming technologies. In doing so, we hope to provide a comprehensive
(though by no means exhaustive) account of the increasingly significant
roles gaming plays in the reproduction, and possible subversion, of
contemporary regimes of gender-based power.

We are seeking chapter contributors for a "trilogy" of edited volumes that
collect and curate previously unpublished scholarship looking at gender and
games. We envision three volumes: one each on femininity, masculinity and
genderqueer identities, respectively.

In particular, we are concerned with theoretically-grounded explorations of
the following:

●      the  relationships -- identification, idealization, appropriation,
negotiation, rejection, contestation, etc -- between
representations/performances of gender in games and their uptake in gaming
practices and cultures;

●      the gendered dynamics and communicative practices of cultures
coalescing around particular games and gaming pursuits;

●      the historical and/or contemporary processes by which gaming
technologies (platforms, peripherals, software, etc) become (dis)associated
with particular subject positions;

●      gendered patterns of privilege and inequity that characterize
gaming-related labor, including (but not limited to) game production,
modding, e-sports, and spectatorship;

●      the persistent and limiting dichotomization of gender in
gaming-related texts, discourses and practices;

●      the intersections of gender and other systems of oppression, such as
race, sexuality, ability, age, and socio-economic status, with regards to
any of these above facets.

Contributions from all academic disciplines and geographic regions are
invited, and emerging and unaffiliated scholars are encouraged as the
trilogy aims to bring different voices and perspectives into conversation.
However, the audience of the work is academic and scholarly style and rigor
are expected. To that end, all chapters will undergo peer review and
willingness to accept criticism and undertake revisions is necessary. Also
note that we can ensure double blind peer-review of your chapter if
requested, but, we also ask that each chapter contributor be willing to
peer-review one other chapter submitted to the trilogy to help expedite
this.

For consideration, please email an abstract of 250 - 500 words and a short
bio statement of no more than 100 words to the editors at (
gender.games.trilogy at gmail.com) no later than October 15. The abstract
should provide a clear summary of the proposed chapter’s thesis and outline
of its structure. Indicate which volume of the trilogy you are submitting
to in the subject line of your email.

Complete chapter drafts will be due February 1, 2016  and should be no more
than 6000 words (including notes and references) and use the Chicago Manual
of Style author-date system (http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/home.html) for