[Air-L] Work on "the digital closet"

Michael Faris michaeljfaris at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 15:41:33 PDT 2015

Evelina,

I’ll second Mary Gray’s book — fantastic!

You might also look into David Phillips’s 2002 essay “Negotiating the Digital Closet” (and probably his other work). Some of the contributors to his and O’Riordan’s collection _Queer Online_ use the phrase as well. Gorkemli has used the phrase in terms of lesbian and gay activism online in Turkey. Jonathan Alexander and Elizabeth Losh’s chapter "A YouTube of One’s Own?’: ‘Coming Out’ Videos as Rhetorical Action” in the collection _LGBT Identity and New Online Media_ might also be useful.

Dr. Michael J. Faris
Assistant Professor
Technical Communication and Rhetoric
English Department