[Air-L] CFP: Historicizing the Digital, University of Leicester

Caroline.Tagg caroline.tagg at open.ac.uk
Tue Apr 12 23:30:04 PDT 2016

With apologies for cross-posting, please see below for details of our seminar.

Historicizing the Digital: language practices in new and old media

Mon 27th - Tues 28th June 2016
University of Leicester, UK

CALL FOR PAPERS: deadline 18th April 2016
REGISTRATION: opening soon

Language and new media is a rapidly emerging area of applied linguistics which considers how the affordances of digital technologies promote new linguistic strategies for identity work by individuals and communities (Seargeant and Tagg 2013). Research suggests that language use in digital spaces is highly innovative (in forms, functions, ideologies and cultural norms), and especially so for written language, such as online spelling variation, code-switching, multimodality, and sharing (Georgakoupoulou and Spilioti 2015).

Our seminar, 'Historicizing the Digital', provides a space in which researchers are encouraged to re-evaluate assumptions and claims of digital communication research. The event explores the extent to which digital practices really are "new". What precedents might be found in earlier periods? What practices show continuity between the pre- and post-digital age? What practices constitute genuine innovation within digital spaces? The event invites speakers working within different historical periods who may not otherwise join in conversation to promote fresh discussions from a trans-historical perspective.

Proposals should be submitted to the Conference Organisers (histthedig at gmail.com) as a Word document, containing the following information:

* Title of proposal in bold
* Name of presenter
* Name and address of institution, telephone and email
* Abstract text max. 300 words
* 12pt, left-aligned, single-spaced

Please visit our website for more details:
www.histthedig.blogspot.co.uk<https://mail.bham.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?REF=wO1TlPlwFPYBiM2oGJSHYAFzFUT4XtFoxiOh4J3zLKkTg5Z_xWLTCAFodHRwOi8vd3d3Lmhpc3R0aGVkaWcuYmxvZ3Nwb3QuY28udWsv>