[Air-L] Gender identity

Marco Campana marcolists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 09:13:39 PDT 2016

Hi all,

This information from a Health Equity project in Toronto might be of
interest:

"Standardized patient level demographic data collection started in 2013 in
downtown Toronto Hospitals following the "Measuring Health Equity in
Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network (TC LHIN)" mandate. This
TC LHIN mandate outlined a set of standardized demographic questions
focused on 8 demographic variables: spoken language, Canadian-born,
ethnicity/race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, income, # of people
income support. Furthermore, this mandate sought to introduce a
standardized data collection effort that would secure access to patient
demographic data and promote system-level approach to health equity.
Community Health Centres have a long history of collecting patient and
client-level demographic data and by joining the Measuring Health Equity in
TC LHIN mandate in 2014, they have adopted the standardized set of 8
demographic questions."

http://torontohealthequity.ca/

Demographic Questions:
http://torontohealthequity.ca/tools-resources/demographic-questions/

What is your gender?  Check ONE only

Female
Intersex
Male
Trans - Female to Male
Trans - Male to Female
Two-Spirit (a term used by Aboriginal people) - (note: this option is on
the Community Health Centres gender question (
http://torontohealthequity.ca/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2014/12/TC-LHIN-CHCs-Demographic-Questions-English-v2.pdf),
but not hospital (
http://torontohealthequity.ca/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2014/12/TC-LHIN-Hospitals-Demographic-Questions-English-visible-v2.pdf),
although it is on both for sexual orientation)
Other (Please specify):___________________
Prefer not to answer
Do not know

Additional background (
http://www.mountsinai.on.ca/about_us/human-rights/measuring-health-equity)

"The questions were developed and tested through the The Tri-Hospital and
Toronto Public Health Health Equity Data Collection Research Project. This
study, undertaken by Mount Sinai Hospital, Centre for Addiction and Mental
Health, St Michael’s Hospital and Toronto Public Health resulted in eight
core and three optional questions around language, race/ethnicity, length
of stay in Canada, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, income,
religion and housing.

The reason for collecting this information is to understand who our clients
and patients are, so we can provide and plan for programs and services to
meet their individual needs. Collecting demographic data is fundamental for
eliminating health inequities and finding opportunities for improvement in
the quality of care that we provide.

The data that is collected is analyzed to detect any differences in health
outcomes experienced by clients/patients based on demographic variables
like race, language, and income. Solutions are put in place and the data is
then used to see if the solutions reduce health inequities.

With all hospitals and community health centres collecting the same
demographic information in the exact same way, there is a strengthened
capacity for a system-wide approach to ensuring the best health outcomes
for all across the Toronto Central LHIN.

For more information about the Measuring Health Equity project at Mount
Sinai Hospital, including frequently asked questions,please download the
patient brochure from the Quick Links, or contact the Patient Relations
Office at patientrelationsunit at mtsinai.on.ca or 416-586-4800 ext. 5066."