[Air-L] Snapchat for scholars

Ian O'Byrne wiobyrne at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 07:00:51 PDT 2016

Hi Jill,

Thanks for sharing. I also just followed you on Snapchat. That took some
expansion of my digital skillset. :)

I just wrote about this last week
<http://us11.campaign-archive1.com/?u=7b5ee323a16720dad25ff96ff&id=bf3b10461e>
for my newsletter <http://wiobyrne.com/tldr/> about literacy, technology, &
education. I was intrigued by this piece
<http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/03/29/467091289/how-teachers-are-using-snapchat>
in NPR about a professor using Snapchat in his introductory psych class.

I've played with Snapchat in the past with students. I've only toyed with it
<https://www.instagram.com/p/7s3oZyLV0i/> and making the faces and
animations. I think the user interface for Snapchat is brilliant...it makes
no sense at all. But, I think that is by design. There is a certain
"tribal" element of Snapchat in that you need to talk to others "in the
know" and exchange strategies to make it work. I had my students teach me
how to get it working.

Finally, I had an epiphany last week in regards to my (potential) use of
Snapchat. I've used screencasts, tweets, and blog posts to share the focus
or objective for a week or module of class. My challenge with this is that
I don't have the head space to go back in time later to delete this
content. One of the elements of Snapchat that I disliked...the fact that it
automatically deletes...is now a feature. Many of us spend a lot of time
creating digital content that we want to live on forever. Now that it
automatically deletes...I can send out a message or update to
students...and it'll delete automatically.

I'll start testing this in classes...and will blog about it as well.

I'm interested to see how others might leverage this tool. Feel free to follow
me <https://www.snapchat.com/add/wiobyrne> as well. ;)

-Ian