[Air-L] Snapchat for scholars

Jon Michael Wargo wargojon at msu.edu
Mon Apr 4 07:13:51 PDT 2016

As someone who studies youth writing with mobile media, I have always been interested in the ways young people write place WITH and THROUGH the Snapchat application. I wrote an empirical piece following one youth snapping to investigate the practice of narrative cartography. You can find the piece here:  https://www.academia.edu/12181247/Spatial_Stories_with_Nomadic_Narrators_Affect_Snapchat_and_Feeling_Embodiment_in_Youth_Mobile_Composing

I also want to encourage everyone to attend a #literacies Twitter chat a couple of colleagues and I are hosting on Thursday 9PM EST. We'll be talking literacies on the move and discussing applications like Snapchat!

You can find out more here: HTTPS://LITERACIESCHAT.WORDPRESS.COM/2016/02/01/LITERACIES-CHAT-47-LOCATIVE-LITERACIES-NARRATIVE-CARTOGRAPHY-EXAMINING-LITERACIES-ON-THE-MOVE/

Excited to follow this thread,

Jon Wargo

Quoting Jill Walker Rettberg <Jill.Walker.Rettberg at uib.no>:

> I've become infatuated with Snapchat stories and have decided to
> share a research-related story on snapchat every day this week.
> Today's is about biometrics and the snapchat selfie lense. My
> snapchat user name is jilltxt. (Http://snapchat.com/add/jilltxt)
>
> I would LOVE to know of other scholars using snapchat to do academic stuff!
>
> Here's a short blogpost I wrote about how I think scholars could use
> snapchat - I hadn't actually shared any stories writing that lasts
> week so will no doubt learn more!!
> http://jilltxt.net/?p=4408
>
> All best,
>
> Jill
>
> Professor of digital culture
> University of Bergen
> Http://jilltxt.net
>

> Sent from my phone

Jon M. Wargo, Ph.D.
University Fellow
Curriculum, Instruction, and Teacher Education [CITE]
Michigan State University
313 Erickson Hall
620 Farm Lane
East Lansing, MI 48824