[Air-L] Collect Facebook Hashtags

Tim Graham timothy.graham3 at uq.net.au
Thu Apr 28 20:47:20 PDT 2016

Hi Patricia,

Further to Josh's answer regarding the Rfacebook package, you used to be able to use the `searchFacebook` function to retrieve public status updates that mention a given keyword (and probably by extension hashtags). However, this function is deprecated because Facebook changed their API specs a while ago :(.

You could try using the `searchPages` function, which retrieves public pages that mention a given keyword?

Or alternatively there are (costly) subscription services available, e.g. Datasift's PYLON initiative.

Another possibility you could try is to use the SocialMediaLab R package that I developed with Robert Ackland. You could use it to scrape user comments from a set of public pages, and then create a subset of comments that include the hashtags of interest. This is a bit of a stretch, but the Facebook API is quite limited nowadays. Happy to chat via email if you would like to try this.

Cheers,

Tim

Timothy Graham
PhD Candidate