[Air-L] Facebook and Twitter user recruitment?

Galen Panger gpanger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:18:59 PDT 2016

Tanja, just wanted to belatedly follow up and thank you for your
suggestions. I ended up leaning on MTurk and Twitter ads to get me to the N
I needed for my study, but I did contact Qualtrics and Survey Monkey at
your suggestion, too. Qualtrics reached out but never actually got back to
me with a quote and Survey Monkey said they won't work with Qualtrics
surveys, which is how my study is implemented.

I would highly recommend Twitter ads to others on this list. The
acquisition costs went down over time as people favorited and retweeted the
ad, which lent credibility to it and (maybe? not sure) free distribution to
their followers. I was able to bring costs down for MTurk, too, by forcing
workers to manually check a box next to each eligibility requirement to
certify that they did, in fact, meet the requirements, which many otherwise
breezed by. The usual confirmation codes and attention checks were
essential, and one worker also helpfully suggested I use a timer in
Qualtrics to force workers to sit on my Consent Form long enough to have
plausibly read it. I also used a worker qualification for the first time to
prevent Turkers from accidentally retaking my HIT when I re-posted it. The
how-to is here:
https://experimentalturk.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/excluding-workers-from-previous-studies-using-excel.pdf

If I'd felt like I could have, paying more per participant would have been
ideal especially, perhaps, when it came to recruiting from my university's
subject pool, which was not as successful as I'd hoped. But I tried to make
up for the lowish pay karmically by making the study as seamless for
participants as possible (apart from the mental effort).

Anyway, just reporting back in case this is helpful to anyone. Thanks again
to everyone who offered suggestions.

Sincerely,
Galen

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 11:13 PM, Tanja Aitamurto <tanja.aitamurto at gmail.com