[Air-L] PhD position available in Digital Culture in Norway

Jill Walker Rettberg Jill.Walker.Rettberg at uib.no
Fri Dec 30 17:03:42 PST 2016

My department at the University of Bergen in Norway has advertised PhD positions, and hopefully one will go to a candidate researching Digital Culture. Please let any promising students with recently completed MAs know about this opportunity! Deadline Jan 15.
https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/131012/phd-positions-at-the-department-of-linguistic-literary-and-aesthetic-studies

This is a four year, fully paid position with an annual salary of NOK 435,100 (about USD 49,900) and all standard Norwegian rights to health care, parental leave and so on. 25% of your time would be spent on teaching and the rest on your research.

To apply you have to have a clear idea of your dissertation topic, and must submit a project description (12000 characters (including spaces) - this is about 5 pages). You also need to have an agreement with a supervisor in the department. So if you are interested in this, send me an email - if your project idea is within an area I or one of my colleagues can supervise, we can give you feedback on a project description draft before you submit it.

I would be particularly interested in supervising a candidate interested in humanities/cultural approaches to machine vision/algorithmic images, in self-representation in social media, or in narratives in social media.

To apply for a PhD in Norway you have to have completed a two year, research-based MA degree with a research thesis equivalent to at least one semester’s full time work.

Jill

Jill Walker Rettberg
Professor of Digital Culture
Dept of Linguistic, Literary and Aesthetic Studies
University of Bergen
Postboks 7800
5020 Bergen

+ 47 55588431

Blog - http://jilltxt.net
Twitter - http://twitter.com/jilltxt
My book "Seeing Ourselves Through Technology: How We Use Selfies, Blogs and Wearable Devices to See and Shape Ourselves" is out on Palgrave as an open access publication - buy it in print or download it for free!
http://jilltxt.net/books