[Air-L] Smart Cities Postdoctoral Scholar position - University of Calgary

ryan burns ryan.burns1 at ucalgary.ca
Thu Dec 1 08:39:31 PST 2016

Hi all, see below for an announcement for a new post-doc position in my
department.
--Ryan Burns

*UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY*

*Postdoctoral Scholar position*

Area: Urban Studies/Smart Cities

Duration: 1 year, with possibility of extension pending funding

Start date: July 1, 2017

Salary:   $50,000 plus benefits

The *Urban Studies Program *in the *Faculty of Arts *at the University of
Calgary is accepting applications for a

Postdoctoral Fellow in “The Social and Environmental Implications of Smart
Cities*.”*

*Job Description:*

The Urban Studies Research Group at the University of Calgary seeks a
postdoctoral scholar to conduct and manage research for the University of
Calgary Human Dynamics Research Strategy project, “The Social and
Environmental Implications of Smart Cities.” The postdoctoral scholar will
work closely with the PI of the project, Dr. Byron Miller, the chairs of
the five Smart Cities working groups (Dr. Victoria Fast, Dr. Matt
Patterson, Dr. Eliot Tretter, Dr. Ryan Burns, Dr. Dean Curran), the Global
Urban Studies Canada Research Chair, Dr. Marit Rosol, and other members of
the Urban Studies Research Group.

 The Social and Environmental Implications of Smart Cities is a global
comparative research project with numerous international collaborators,
seeking to understand the ways in which the social and environmental
implications of smart cities vary around the world, and why. The
postdoctoral scholar will conduct research on a specific smart city
initiative (appropriate to the postdoc’s area of expertise), assist in the
preparation of grant proposals and research reports, assist in the
coordination of international research projects, and perform other
responsibilities in collaboration with members of the Research Group.

 *Qualifications:*

§  Ph.D. in an urban-related discipline such as Anthropology, Geography,
History, Planning, Political Science, Sociology, Science, Technology, and
Society, or a cognate discipline

§  International research experience

§  An ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, and to
multi-task

§  Excellent written and verbal communication skills

§  Excellent time-management and other organizational skills,
problem-solving, and analytical skills

*Application details:*

For more information on the above-mentioned members of the research team
please see their web pages:

https://geog.ucalgary.ca/profiles/1-7419978 (Ryan Burns)

https://soci.ucalgary.ca/dev2015/profiles/dean-curran

https://geog.ucalgary.ca/profiles/victoria-fast

https://geog.ucalgary.ca/profiles/byron-miller

https://soci.ucalgary.ca/dev2015/profiles/matt-patterson

https://geog.ucalgary.ca/profiles/marit-rosol

https://geog.ucalgary.ca/profiles/eliot-tretter

Please direct questions to the* Principal Investigator, Dr. Byron Miller
(Department of Geography)*: bavrmill at ucalgary.ca  Interested applicants are
asked to email the following documents *in a single pdf-file* to Dr. Miller
at bavrmill at ucalgary.ca *by January 31, 2017*

§  cover letter/ statement of interest

§  current CV

§  names and contact details of two potential referees

§  transcripts

*About the University of Calgary*

The University of Calgary is a leading Canadian university located in the
nation’s most enterprising city. The university has a clear strategic
direction to become one of Canada’s top five research universities by 2016,
where innovative teaching and groundbreaking research go hand in hand, and
where we fully engage the communities we both serve and lead. The strategy
is called *Eyes High*, inspired by our Gaelic motto, which translates to ‘I
will lift up my eyes.’

To succeed as one of Canada’s top universities, where new ideas are
created, tested and applied through first-class teaching and research, the
University of Calgary needs more of the best minds in our classrooms and
labs. We’re increasing our scholarly capacity by investing in people
<http://www.ucalgary.ca/risingstars/postdoc> who want to change the world,
bringing the best and brightest to Calgary to form a global intellectual
hub and achieve advances that matter to everyone.

*About Calgary*Named a cultural capital of Canada and one of the best
places to live in the world, Calgary is a city of leaders – in business,
community, philanthropy and volunteerism. Calgarians benefit from a highly
diverse and highly educated citizenry, more days of sunshine per year than
any other major Canadian city, location less than an hour’s drive from the
majestic Rocky Mountains, and the most extensive urban pathway and bikeway
network in North America.

*All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and
permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Calgary
respects, appreciates, and encourages diversity.*

--
Ryan Burns, PhD
Dept of Geography

http://burnsr77.github.io