[Air-L] Reminder: Abstracts due 11 Dec for DPASSH2017 - Digital Preservation for the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities - 14-15 June 2017, Brighton UK

Natalie Harrower N.Harrower at ria.ie
Thu Dec 1 10:28:38 PST 2016

Dear Air-L:

A reminder that abstracts are due on 11 December for DPASSH 2017: Digital Preservation for the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities, to be held 14-15 June 2017 in Brighton, UK.

We are interested in submissions from all relevant areas and perspectives. This is the second iteration of what proved to be a very energetic and engaging conference in 2015, and we look forward to building a community of interest.

Also, we are pleased to be offering student scholarships: http://dpassh.org/2016/11/24/dah-scholarships-available-for-dpassh-2017/

Please see http://dpassh.org/ for details.
_________________

DPASSH 2017 Call for Papers

The Sussex Humanities Lab and the Digital Repository of Ireland are pleased to announce that the second Digital Preservation for the Arts, Social Science, and Humanities conference will take place 14-15 June 2017 at the University of Sussex, Brighton.

The CFP has now been released, the submission deadline is midnight Sunday 11 December 2016 (GMT)

Website: www.dpassh.org<http://www.dpassh.org/>
Twitter: @DPASSHConf
Email: dpassh2017 at gmail.com<mailto:dpassh2017 at gmail.com>

DPASSH 2017 Conference Theme: ‘Preserving Abundance: The Challenge of Saving Everything’

The collaboration between SHL and DRI focuses on two major challenges for long-term digital preservation: maintaining access to the form and functionality of digital objects, and managing, filtering, interpreting, and critically engaging with these petabytes of information, now and in the future. While developments in long-term digital preservation enable ongoing access, the question of how these developments impact the way we interact with, use, reuse, investigate, and interpret our heritage, remains. What, for example, are the cultural and scholarly repercussions of saving “everything”? DPASSH 2017 will, for instance, explore the implications of asking disciplines that evolved in a world of scarcity, to engage with an expanding abundance of historical records.

As such, DPASSH 2017 will focus on both the technical, cultural, and societal challenges of digital preservation and the impact on research when (and if) everything is saved. It asks: now that the human record is digital, what methods, approaches, tools, or skills will researchers, and society, require to understand these colossal datasets?

Submissions are particularly sought from researchers, practitioners, and scholars in the fields of digital history, digital humanities, digital materiality, digital performance, digital arts and music, cultural heritage and research institutions, as well as libraries, archives and industry. We also invite submissions for papers that critically reflect on any area relating to digital preservation in the humanities and social sciences, arts, and cultural heritage domains.

Conference themes include but are not limited to: Preserving digital humanities research; Capturing and archiving artistic performance; Methods and tools for computational humanities and/or digital history; Preservation metadata as research objects; Linking research data and ‘publication’; Stakeholder engagement and community approaches to preservation; Advocacy and national approaches to sustainability and open access; Aesthetics of preservation and content curation; Preservation and Trust; Technical challenges posed by datasets in arts/humanities/social sciences;Preservation and discovery infrastructures, software and tools.

We look forward to welcoming you to Brighton.

Best wishes,

Sharon, on behalf of the DPASSH Organising and Programme Committee

Dr. Sharon Webb (Chair)
Lecturer in Digital Humanities,
Sussex Humanities Lab,
School of History, Art History and Philosophy,
University of Sussex, Falmer

DPASSH 2017 Organising Committee

• Sharon Webb – Sussex Humanities Lab, University of Sussex (Chair)
• Dermot Frost – Digital Repository of Ireland, Trinity College Dublin
• Natalie Harrower —Digital Repository of Ireland, Royal Irish Academy (Outgoing Chair)
• Jane Harvell – Library, University of Sussex
• Clare Lanigan – The Digital Arts and Humanities PhD Program, Royal Irish Academy
• Paddi Leinster -Digital Repository of Ireland, Royal Irish Academy