[Air-L] Apply Now: Civic Media, Art & Practice MA at Emerson

Eric Gordon eric_gordon at emerson.edu
Mon Dec 12 05:28:16 PST 2016

  Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I'm writing to share that the Engagement Lab at Emerson College
<http://engagementgamelab.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8cb16e3042072f11cc0680d36&id=52a28b8b96&e=488a3ee248>
is now accepting applications for the second cohort in our Master of Arts
degree program Civic Media, Art & Practice (CMAP)
<http://engagementgamelab.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=8cb16e3042072f11cc0680d36&id=7b888e7b3d&e=488a3ee248>
for fall 2017.

We’re seeking interdisciplinary minded students and recent graduates who
are scholars, entrepreneurs, socially engaged artists, civic leaders, and
creative technologists to apply. We would love your help reaching
anyone who is looking to refine their skills and position themselves more
strongly in the field of civic media.
[image: Introducing Civic Media, Art & Practice]
<http://engagementgamelab.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8cb16e3042072f11cc0680d36&id=81ec24404b&e=488a3ee248>

*Check out a short video about CMAP*
The core experience and outcomes of the 12-month CMAP program are centered
around thesis projects. These creative works highlight the relationship of
media, art, and practice and explore a wide range of approaches to the art
& design of civic media, including participatory digital campaigns, mobile
apps, public art installations, interactive curriculums, and virtual
platforms. These projects bring to life the theories and practices that
CMAP students explore in coursework throughout the year.

At the Engagement Lab, we practice engaged research -- research with direct
application to people’s lives and livelihoods. As such, CMAP students
produce their scaled projects in partnerships with external organizations
that we help to cultivate and support. This past year, our first cohort
worked with organizations ranging from the Mayor’s Office of New Urban
Mechanics to UNDP Egypt to the Boston Public Library, and many more.

You can learn more about CMAP here
<http://engagementgamelab.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=8cb16e3042072f11cc0680d36&id=1937161972&e=488a3ee248>,
and more about the work we do at the Engagement Lab at Emerson College here
<http://engagementgamelab.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8cb16e3042072f11cc0680d36&id=4bef958bdf&e=488a3ee248>
.

Consideration of applications will begin on *February 1st, 2017*. All
applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until July 14th.

If you know someone who would be interested in CMAP, please share this
email, send me their info, and ask them to reach out to me at
paul at elab.emerson.edu for more information or to schedule a meeting.

--
*Eric Gordon Ph.D.*
Associate Professor, Visual and Media Arts

Faculty Associate, Berkman Center for Internet and Society
Harvard University