[Air-L] CFP: InfoSocial Grad Conference @ Northwestern

William Marler willmarler at u.northwestern.edu
Tue Dec 13 13:00:09 PST 2016

Call for Papers

InfoSocial 2017

A graduate student conference hosted by the twin programs of

Media, Technology, and Society (MTS) and Technology and Social Behavior
(TSB) at Northwestern University.

Date: April 7-8, 2017

Location: Northwestern University, Evanston, IL

Submission Deadline: February 1, 2017

The Information Age was getting hype before most graduate students today
were born. The idea of the Network Society is approaching the U.S. drinking
age. And the Digital Era? As old as Rick Astley. To break new ground and
continue to explore how people interact through and with technology, we
need novel ideas, updated methods, and a disregard for disciplinary
conventions and boundaries.

Enter InfoSocial. InfoSocial is a student-run conference dedicated to
showcasing interdisciplinary graduate student research on the role of
technology in contemporary society. In 2017, the conference aims to bring
scholars from diverse disciplines together to showcase new, innovative
approaches to key questions, and highlight opportunities for
cross-disciplinary collaborations that explore the (now old) argument that
human society has forever been changed by technology.

This is your call. We are looking for papers authored by graduate students
(submitted as extended abstracts) that are theoretically engaging,
methodologically sound, and socially relevant, as well as timely. We are
disciplinary agnostics, seeking submissions from within and across fields
like communication and media studies, information science, computer
science, science and technology studies, human-computer interaction,
sociology, psychology, political science, and anthropology. New and mixed
methodologies will excite us, including approaches that blend established
methods with new, innovative tools.

Here are only some of the topics we hope to include:

   -

   Human-computer interaction
   -

   Online behavior & cyberpsychology
   -

   Privacy, surveillance & encryption
   -

   Social media & big data
   -

   Youth, family & the media
   -

   Social impact, policy & regulation of technology
   -

   Digital cultures, online communities & gaming
   -

   Digital inequality, skills & social capital
   -

   Information and communication technologies for development
   -

   Communication, technology, and politics
   -

   Transformation of the mass media in the digital era

Submissions:

To submit to InfoSocial 2017, please prepare an anonymized extended
abstract of no more than 1,000 words (excluding references) that explains
your paper, any unique methodological approaches you use, and how it pushes
the boundaries of our knowledge about how people interact through and/or
with technology. Please format your abstract in either APA or ACM SIGCHI
style. Submit your abstract no later than February 1, 2017 at
https://infosocial.soc.northwestern.edu/submit/.

Dates and Information:

Extended abstract submission deadline: February 1

Acceptance notification date: February 20

Conference Dates: Friday and Saturday, April 7-8, 2017

Location: Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois

Conference URL: https://infosocial.soc.northwestern.edu/

Note: There will be no fee to attend or participate in the conference. Some
meals will be provided, and interested attendees may request to be housed
with Northwestern students. While we can make no guarantees, we will do our
best to accommodate requests.

Code of Conduct and Anti-Harassment Policy: InfoSocial is dedicated to a
harassment-free conference experience for everyone. Our code of conduct and
anti-harassment policy can be found at:
https://infosocial.soc.northwestern.edu/code-of-conduct/