[Air-L] FABRIC: an archive for embodied tech

Andrew Iliadis Andrew.Iliadis at uoit.ca
Tue Dec 20 18:47:18 PST 2016

Hi everyone,

I wanted to tell you about a multi-year, SSHRC-funded project we've been working on at UOIT under the direction of Dr. Isabel Pedersen, with the assistance of many academic volunteers and researchers.

FABRIC (http://fabricofdigitallife.com/) is an online archive for collecting digital materials related to wearable, ingestible, embeddable?, implantable, and other types of body-centered technologies (something we call "embodied technology").

Currently, the archive hosts over 1400 sorted objects including patents, videos, and news releases that users can browse using customized categories, like which body part or sense is augmented.

We are issuing an open call for collaborators who can recommend additions or curate special edited collections. Specifically, we're interested in expanding our curated collections on ethical, social, political, and cultural issues relating to embodied technologies. Contexts might include things like policing and wearables, gender and embodied technology, labor and tracking, quantified self, etc.

Feel free to send me an email if you'd like a brief demo or tour of the archive or to discuss your research and how it might be featured in FABRIC. andrew.iliadis at uoit.ca

Lastly, here's a link to a Medium piece that describes the project in more detail: https://goo.gl/9L7G1d

Thanks, and happy holidays!

Andrew?

Dr. Andrew Iliadis
Postdoctoral Fellow in Digital Media, Data, and Culture
Faculty of Social Science and Humanities
University of Ontario Institute of Technology