[Air-L] Position Announcement: Director of the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Arizona State University

Greg Wise Greg.Wise at asu.edu
Fri Dec 23 11:21:40 PST 2016

Hi folks,
The following might be of interest to some on this list.

DIRECTOR, SCHOOL OF SOCIAL AND BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES
New College of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences
Arizona State University

The School of Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) in the New College of
Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences, at Arizona State University (ASU) invites application
for School Director. This is an opportunity to take a leadership role in a rapidly growing,
socially conscious, innovative liberal arts college embedded in an R1 research
institution. SBS transcends disciplinary boundaries and fosters work that engages with
the community and the world.

The successful applicant will be expected to provide administrative vision, leadership,
and management for the School; to contribute to and foster the School's
interdisciplinary teaching and research missions; to engage in research and teaching
that complement and strengthen current offerings and emphases in SBS; to engage
undergraduate and graduate students both in teaching and research; and to coordinate
efforts to acquire research funding that draws upon the diverse capabilities of SBS
faculty. We are seeking exceptional senior candidates for appointment at the rank of
Full Professor. We seek a leader who has an open and dynamic leadership style,
values transparency and collaboration, and has a proven track record of institutional
advocacy. We serve approximately 2,500 undergraduate majors (1,500 online and
about 1,000 in person) and 130 Masters students. The school has 50 full time faculty, 5
undergraduate degrees, and 4 Master's level programs. We are currently developing
two new Master's level programs and a PhD.

A founding premise of the school is that the study of human behavior, social institutions,
and culture can be best understood through interdisciplinary perspectives that integrate
diverse intellectual and methodological systems of inquiry. Through challenging
coursework, the students and faculty of SBS seek to understand how the human mind
works, how we communicate with one another, how and why we organize into social
and political groups as it relates to vital causes and issues, and ultimately how we make
sense of our world and the many places we occupy within it. Members of our School are
committed to excellence in teaching and research, and SBS is proud of the
accomplishments of our faculty, students, and graduates. We are a research-oriented
school where our priority is the discovery of new knowledge in all of our degree areas,
including majors in: Communication, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Social
and Behavioral Sciences, and Social Justice and Human Rights. We offer minors and
certificates in such areas as Public Relations and Strategic Communication,
Sociocultural Anthropology, Applied Social Science, and Diversity and Equity Studies.
SBS also offers several Master's degree programs and a new PhD program in
Psychology and Law (tentatively scheduled to start in Fall 2018). Students are
encouraged to participate in faculty-student collaborative research projects; to explore
cross-cultural and global perspectives; to employ the latest computer technology; and,
to apply what they have learned in community-based internships.