[Air-L] Fake News

Yosem Companys companys at stanford.edu
Fri Dec 9 05:29:56 PST 2016

Exactly. I was wondering whether anyone has studied whether news -- fake or
real -- had any tangible effect on the 2016 election outcome. Wouldn't
Lazarsfeld et al. say "no," at least not directly?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Lazarsfeld
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-step_flow_of_communication

There is a long tradition of studying the effects of news on people's
attitudes (or attitude change). My recollection is that news in and of
itself has little influence on people's attitudes unless mediated by an
influencer (i.e., hence Lazarsfeld 2-step flow of communication). But
experiments show the opposite: News has a strong effect on people's
attitudes, though the effect wanes over time.

Anyone studied 2016 from this perspective?