[Air-L] Fake News

MC Cambre mcambre at ualberta.ca
Mon Dec 12 09:13:32 PST 2016

This burns me because I fell for the professor blacklist story  (had some
people I knew on it) even after I had hunted down all the references, and
the organization that started it (I still don't even know if they are real).

Just wondering if we are overlooking outright lying?
https://theintercept.com/2016/12/09/a-clinton-fan-manufactured-fake-news-that-msnbc-personalities-spread-to-discredit-wikileaks-docs/
The issue is mushrooming online with sites now dedicated to 'debunking'
fake news as well.
At the same time there is implicit trust of search engines like Google,
while they actually work to camouflage them.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/6/13850230/fake-news-sites-google-search-facebook-instant-articles