[Air-L] Fake News

Emma Duke-Williams emma.dukewilliams at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 06:39:41 PST 2016

 I've skimmed this thread, though not read it in detail, so I may have
missed some points. (Also note that I'm not from the US, so, while
Trump's election may well indirectly affect the UK, it's not quite
like Brexit. [Though if I'm being entirely objective, Trump's election
could lead to world instability - and possibly wars. Brexit is more
likely to cause UK and possibly EU economic instability; but less
likely to lead to a war]

HOwever, my understanding of the phrase "fake news" was the type
referred to in https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/how-macedonia-became-a-global-hub-for-pro-trump-misinfo?utm_term=.naGj7W4DX#.kkvK48N7z-
rather than selective reporting to suit the needs of the paper etc.,
nor the filtering by people based on their personal beliefs. [There
was also a section on BBC Radio 4's "From our own correspondent"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qjlq/episodes/player - it's the
one called "Real or Fake". There is also a World service of that
programme, so may be available outside the UK;.

I did see someone else had also recommended the article in the
Observer Newspaper 10 days ago. Well worth reading.

As to academic research - it's quite soon for that, however, have you
looked for work on Scotland's Independence Referendum?

Emma Duke-Williams:

Blog: http://emmadukewilliams.co.uk
Twitter: http://twitter.com/emmadw