[Air-L] Fake News

jon pers jon.pers at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 06:52:20 PST 2016

The Copenhagen Center for Information and Bubble Studies (Vincent Hendricks) are surely working on this.

http://bubblestudies.ku.dk/ <http://bubblestudies.ku.dk/>

For instance:
http://sciencenordic.com/facebook-not-about-stimulating-democracy?utm_source=ScienceNordic.com+Newsletter&utm_campaign=a78a81653e-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3bb7f89ffc-a78a81653e-239953037 <http://sciencenordic.com/facebook-not-about-stimulating-democracy?utm_source=ScienceNordic.com+Newsletter&utm_campaign=a78a81653e-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3bb7f89ffc-a78a81653e-239953037>

> [...]
> could lead to world instability - and possibly wars. Brexit is more
> likely to cause UK and possibly EU economic instability; but less
> likely to lead to a war]
>
> HOwever, my understanding of the phrase "fake news" was the type
> referred to in https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/how-macedonia-became-a-global-hub-for-pro-trump-misinfo?utm_term=.naGj7W4DX#.kkvK48N7z-
> rather than selective reporting to suit the needs of the paper etc.,
> nor the filtering by people based on their personal beliefs. [There
> was also a section on BBC Radio 4's "From our own correspondent"
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qjlq/episodes/player - it's the
> one called "Real or Fake". There is also a World service of that
> programme, so may be available outside the UK;.
>

> I did see someone else had also recommended the article in the
> Observer Newspaper 10 days ago. Well worth reading.
>
> As to academic research - it's quite soon for that, however, have you
> looked for work on Scotland's Independence Referendum?
>
> On 12 December 2016 at 17:13, MC Cambre <mcambre at ualberta.ca> wrote:
>> This burns me because I fell for the professor blacklist story  (had some
>> people I knew on it) even after I had hunted down all the references, and
>> the organization that started it (I still don't even know if they are real).
>>
>> Just wondering if we are overlooking outright lying?
>> https://theintercept.com/2016/12/09/a-clinton-fan-manufactured-fake-news-that-msnbc-personalities-spread-to-discredit-wikileaks-docs/
>> The issue is mushrooming online with sites now dedicated to 'debunking'
>> fake news as well.
>> At the same time there is implicit trust of search engines like Google,
>> while they actually work to camouflage them.
>> http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/6/13850230/fake-news-sites-google-search-facebook-instant-articles
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 3:28 PM, kalev leetaru <kalev.leetaru5 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The concept of "fake news" is very complex, ranging from satirical to
>>> misleading to malicious content and, when looking globally, covers not just
>>> social media, but SMS and FTF communication. Much like humor, where one
>>> person's hilarious joke might be deeply offensive to another, a good
>>> portion of "fake news" revolves around how societies and peoples with
>>> different backgrounds interpret and construct meaning from a shared set of
>>> information. Paul Linebarger's 1948 book "Psychological Warfare" is a
>>> powerful read into the roots and methodology of inorganic constructionism
>>> of the kind that underlies much of the hundred shades of gray that we today
>>> frequently label as "fake news." This is also why purely technological
>>> solutions will always struggle with this complex middle ground that
>>> constitutes a large portion of "fake news." Instead, "information literacy"
>>> coupled with technological assistance offer perhaps the most robust path

>>> stopping-fake-news-is-so-hard/
>>> http://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2016/12/10/the-
>>> inverted-pyramid-and-how-fake-news-weaponized-modern-
>>> journalistic-practice/
>>> http://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2016/12/11/the-
>>> global-perspective-on-fake-news/
>>> http://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2016/12/11/how-