[Air-L] Recommendations for short literary fiction and films on "digital culture"?

Aaron Hung aaron.chiayuanhung at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 12:40:30 PST 2016

Hi Emma:

I taught a Philosophy of Technology course last year, tying in fiction to
help more it more accessible. Here's the list I compiled:

*Short Stories*

Asimov, Isaac. (1951) The Fun They Had
Asimov, Isaac. (1958) The Feeling of Power
Bradbury, Ray. (1950) The Veldt
Bradbury, Ray. (1954) All Summer in a Day
Dick, Philip K. (1968) Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Dick, Philip K. (1969) The Electric Ant
Forster, E. M. (1909) The Machine Stops
Vinge, Vernor. (2001) Fast Times at Fairmont High

*Novels*

Abrashkin, Raymond and Jay Williams. (1958) Danny Dunn and the Homework
Machine
Andersen, M. T. (2002) Feed
Asimov, Isaac. (1950) I, Robot
Burgess, Anthony. (1962) A Clockwork Orange
Card, Orson Scott. (1985) Ender’s Game
Cline, Ernest (2013) Ready Player One
Collins, Suzanne (2008) The Hunger Games
Doctorow, Cory. (2008) Little Brother
Doctorow, Cory. (2013) Homeland
Egger, Dave (2013) The Circle
Gibson, William (1990) The Difference Engine
Heinlein, Robert. (1957) Citizen of the Galaxy
Hesse, Hermann. (1943) The Glass Bead Game
Huxley, Aldous. (1931) Brave New World
Le Guin, Ursula. (1976) The Word for World is Forest
McIntosh, Will (2013) Love Minus Eight
Orwell, George. (1949) Nineteen Eighty-Four
Sheffield, Charles and Jerry Pournelle. (1996) Higher Education
Shelley, Mary (1818) Frankenstein
Skinner, B. F. (1948) Walden Two
Stephenson, Neal. (1984) The Big U
Stephenson, Neal. (1995) Diamond Age: or A Young Lady’s Illustrated Primer
Stephenson, Neal. (2011) Reamde
Vinge, Vernor. (2006) Rainbow’s End
Vonnegut, Kurt. (1952) Player Piano
Wells, H. G. (1895) The Time Machine