[Air-L] Elsevier and peer review

Andrew Herman aherman at wlu.ca
Thu Dec 29 05:28:22 PST 2016

​Hi Zach

Again, you are absolutely correct.  And I think that "growing pains" is the right metaphor for describing what is going on in OA publishing at the moment.  In Canada, for example, the principal government agencies that fund academic research now demand that any publications that emerge from publicly funded research MUST be published in OA journals.  This sounds great on the face of it, but many OA publishers are seeing this an opportunity to squeeze grant recipients  and their institutions for as much as they can get away with. At York University, the faculty spent what the university allocated for OA fees for the entire 2016-2017 fiscal year in just one month. Just yesterday, my wife received an invoice for $3000 to publish an article in an cutting edge anthropology journal, expecting either her university or her grants to pay for it.  Moreover, at no point in the review, revision or copy edit process was it ever mentioned that such an invoice was to be expected. That is not right.

Andrew