[Air-L] Elsevier and peer review

Jeff Pooley pooley at muhlenberg.edu
Thu Dec 29 15:49:48 PST 2016

Thanks for raising this troubling episode. Like Zach says, this is no reason to impugn OA publishing, regardless of its many challenges (including the dominant author-pays model in the natural sciences and cynical OA opportunism of the Elsevier-buys-SSRN sort). I recently wrote about these issues in IJOC ("Open Media Scholarship: The Case for Open Access in Media Studies"):

http://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/6154

In the wake of Elsevier's takeover of SSRN, if you're looking for a nonprofit OA preprint repository, the brand-new SocArxiv is superb (and built atop the Open Science Framework platform):

https://osf.io/preprints/socarxiv

Jeff

---------

Jeff Pooley, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Media & Communication
Muhlenberg College
2400 Chew St., Allentown, PA 18104
484-664-3677
jeffpooley.com