[Air-L] NEW BOOK: Migration, Media, and Global-Local Spaces (Palgrave Macmillan Series in International Political Communication)

Esther Chin echin at swin.edu.au
Thu Feb 25 15:58:03 PST 2016

Dear colleagues,

I would like to share the news that my book Migration, Media, and Global-Local Spaces has just been released in print and e-book, in the Palgrave Macmillan Series in International Political Communication. Please see below and attached for details, consider including it in your course reading material, and forward this information to your contacts. I will send a separate email regarding the book launch and industry public panel for those who are able to participate in Melbourne. Thank you for your support. :)

What is this book about?

This book explores how we define our social spaces in a world of globalization, cultural diversity, and media convergence. It invites us to consider how each of us relates to multiple people and places worldwide through migration and media. Critiquing our focus on nation, state, and particular countries of origin and settlement, this book offers a new conceptual approach to study contemporary migration and media. Drawing on in-depth interviews with Singaporean university students in Melbourne, Australia, this book details how we organize our social relations into diverse configurations of global and local spaces. This book aims to help university students, researchers, and members of the public to think more critically about how we develop our mental maps of the world, experience the migration of others and ourselves, and shape our media environments.

What do experts in media and social science research think about this book?

"As migration is one of the key themes of the networked 21st century, this book makes a timely and critical contribution to our understanding of communication across diverse migration processes. Esther Chin offers a much needed theoretical approach which allows us to assess the new dense relationships between communication and mobility, creating new spaces for civic identity beyond the nation-state. Without a doubt, the book sets the agenda for a new field in transnational communication."

- Ingrid Volkmer, Associate Professor in the Department of Media and Communications, University of Melbourne, Australia

"This fine book provides fresh insights into two defining global dynamics of the twenty-first century: migration and media. With a keen theoretical intelligence, Esther Chin greatly advances our understanding of how contemporary social and mobile media undergird people's need to inhabit a plurality of social spaces, creating distinctive 'cartographies of the social'. Essential reading that will equally require us to rethink migration and the place(s) of media."

- Gerard Goggin, Professor of Media and Communications, University of Sydney, Australia

"This book provides a novel and innovative spatial analysis of migration, where the spaces are mediated, local, and global. It delivers a nuanced and compelling account of how migrants experience their lives, where the global and local shape the social spaces they inhabit. Esther Chin shows how media and spaces interact in a process of 'glocal cosmopolitanism', a concept which aims to move beyond nations and states to capture the interconnected globalised world we now inhabit."

- Karen Farquharson, Associate Dean (Research & Engagement) and Associate Professor Sociology, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia

How can I access this book?

Email customerservice at springer.com to order your book directly from the publisher, from anywhere in the world.

You can also order the book from Amazon<http://www.amazon.co.uk/Migration-Global-Local-MacMillan-International-Communication/dp/1137558563> or your local store.

Please request your local academic/public library to buy this book and make it available for other readers.

What is the price of this book?

Discounted price until 30th April 2016: Quote 'PM16THIRTY' to buy the book at £47.60 or $73.50. This offer is only available to individual (not library/trade) customers.

The publisher has priced this book at £68.00 or $105.00.

Dr Esther Chin
Lecturer in Media and Communications

Faculty of Health, Arts and Design
Swinburne University of Technology
Australia

Office AS315 | Phone +61 3 9214 4695
https://au.linkedin.com/in/estherchinyw
Chin, E. (2016). Migration, Media, and Global-Local Spaces. Palgrave Macmillan.